Situated on the left bank of the Aude, the Bastide was built during the reign of Saint Louis in 1260 on a rectangular plan laid out around the central square, now the Place Carnot. Nowadays the Bastide, delimited by the boulevards laid out in the XVIIIth and XIXth centuries on the site of the old moats, has retained its chequerboard arrangement of streets and boasts a remarkable architectural heritage, both in its former private mansions and its religious edifices.
Maisons des mémoires
Maison où vécut le poète Joë Bousquet, paralysé, et dans laquelle il reçut tout ce que la première moitié du 20ème siècle comptait comme créateurs. Peintres, poètes et philosophes (Dali, Magritte, Paul Valéry, Aragon, Gide...) se succédèrent dans sa chambre que l'on peut voir aujourd'hui telle qu'elle était de son vivant. Exposition permanente sur sa vie, et expositions temporaires valorisant les artistes audois. Ouvert au public. . Du mardi au samedi de 10h à 13h et de 14h à 18h.
Hôtel de Murat (XVIIIè) - 5 rue Aimé Ramond
From the XVIIth century until the Revolution, this belonged to the De Murat family of city magistrates. Confiscated by the State in 1792, it became the episcopal palace from 1826 to 1906. Today it is home to the Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Fine façade overlooking the courtyard, large carriage entrance on the street.
Hôtel de Rolland (XVIIIè) - 32 rue Aimé Ramond
Built between 1746 and 1761 by Jean-François Cavailhès, a former drapery merchant, and purchased in 1815 by the Rolland family, who remained its proprietors until 1924. it is now the City Hall and the building most representative of XVIIIth century architecture. Monumental façade with sculpted decoration, façade overlooking the courtyard, grand ceremonial starcase.
Maison du Sénéchal (XIVè) - 70 rue Aimé Ramon
Built in the XIVth century, it would appear to have escaped the Black Prince’s setting fire to the city in 1355. Fine façade with twin large windows and doorway with pointed Gothic arch. Closed to the public
Hôtel Bourlat (XVIIIè) - 81 rue de Verdun
Erected in the early XVIIIth century by Guillaume Bourlat, it was subsequently purchased by a succession of manufacturers or drapers, including the Castel family in the mid-XIXth century. The façade is simple and characteristic of the mansions in this street, as is the wide arched carriage entrance and the second floor. The corridor opens out onto an interior courtyard enclosed by three buildings with, on the western side, a fine staircase with a wrought-iron balustrade.