The Bastide Saint-Louis

Remarkable heritage site

Situated on the left bank of the Aude, the Bastide was built during the reign of Saint Louis in 1260 on a rectangular plan laid out around the central square, now the Place Carnot. Nowadays the Bastide, delimited by the boulevards laid out in the XVIIIth and XIXth centuries on the site of the old moats, has retained its chequerboard arrangement of streets and boasts a remarkable architectural heritage, both in its former private mansions and its religious edifices.

Houses of memories

House where the poet Joë Bousquet lived, paralyzed, and in which he received everything that the first half of the 20th century counted as creators. Painters, poets and philosophers (Dali, Magritte, Paul Valéry, Aragon, Gide ...) succeeded in his room that can be seen today as it was during his lifetime. Permanent exhibition on his life, and temporary exhibitions highlighting artists from Aude. Open to the public. Tuesday to Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Murat Hotel (18th century) - 5 Aimé Ramond Street

From the XVIIth century until the Revolution, this belonged to the De Murat family of city magistrates. Confiscated by the State in 1792, it became the episcopal palace from 1826 to 1906. Today it is home to the Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Fine façade overlooking the courtyard, large carriage entrance on the street.

Rolland Hotel (18th century) - 32 Aimé Ramond Street

Built between 1746 and 1761 by Jean-François Cavailhès, a former drapery merchant, and purchased in 1815 by the Rolland family, who remained its proprietors until 1924. it is now the City Hall and the building most representative of XVIIIth century architecture. Monumental façade with sculpted decoration, façade overlooking the courtyard, grand ceremonial starcase.

Sénéchal home (14th century) - 70 Aimé Ramon street

Built in the XIVth century, it would appear to have escaped the Black Prince’s setting fire to the city in 1355. Fine façade with twin large windows and doorway with pointed Gothic arch. Closed to the public

Bourlat Hotel (18th century) - 81 Verdun Street

Erected in the early XVIIIth century by Guillaume Bourlat, it was subsequently purchased by a succession of manufacturers or drapers, including the Castel family in the mid-XIXth century. The façade is simple and characteristic of the mansions in this street, as is the wide arched carriage entrance and the second floor. The corridor opens out onto an interior courtyard enclosed by three buildings with, on the western side, a fine staircase with a wrought-iron balustrade.